Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Second Opinion

Today I went to see a doctor at the University of Chicago for a second opinion in regard to removing additional lymph nodes. My prayer has been that I could forego going back to surgery for lymp node removal and subjecting myself to higher risks of lymphdema. My thinking was that usually lymph nodes are removed prior to chemo and since I had chemo is it really necessary to remove them now. My surgeon told me that there is no real data about this situation because most people have the nodes removed before chemo. He indicated that is it reasonable not to remove them but could not say it would reduce or increase the risk of recurrence. The surgeon indicated that his best personal advice to me would be to remove the nodes. My oncologist gently suggests that they should be removed as well. Today's second opinion came from a female who also recommends that the nodes be removed. However, she gave me more detailed information that clarified some things for me. I have to tell you that I was/am leaning toward not having the nodes removed. However, tonight I will give it all to
God and see what tomorrow brings. I got back to the oncologist tomorrow he is expecting a decision. I will also get the results of the PET Scan I took last week.

On another note, Mom called today to take me to Macy's to buy me a Easter outfit. It was so cute, it made me think of the days when I took the girls Easter shopping. I know that she wanted to do it to encourage me to go to church. I told her I was not ready nor do I want the bigger clothes; not just yet anyway.

The rescue cavalier sent a women to my home today. Remember I said I wanted a dog when this is all said and done and Tyler is away at school....well we will see.

It's happening, in a weird way but it's happening. I continue to loose hair. My eyebrows are now almost all gone, the hair on my leggs is disappearing now too. It's the last of hair I had, but guess what I have hair growing in my armpits, real hair not just peach fuzz. I have peach fuzz on my head now, it's not real hair yet, you have to get real close to me to see it. In a way it looks like an old man who has lost his hair and only has that soft baby hair close to his scalp. At this point it looks white. I was told that it may all grow back white. Well only time will tell. Hopefully I will have enough hair by Tyler's graduation to toss the wig!

No comments: