Sunday, September 21, 2008

Waiting for the MRI

As I wait for the time to come to have the MRI, I wonder why I'm waiting so long. I'm just anxious I guest. But why be in a hurry? Having knowledge of what's to come in some ways is comforting in other ways it's scary.

I have began researching lobular breast cancer. This type of cancer is only seen in 10 - 15% of all breast cancer cases. My doctor told me that it is a slow moving cancer which is a good thing. However, the research I've done does not change the treatment. It is recommended that patient's with this type of cancer have a masectomy and this type of cancer usually shows up in both breast if not now then later. That's just great! The cancer is prompted by hormonal changes in the body. My hormones have been off the chain this year. I have hot flashes that feel like I've being baked like the Thanksgiving Turkey. And for a period of time I was having night sweats that leave my night clothes so wet, I can ring water out. I have to get up change PJ's and bed clothes,... no fun! Then as many of you know, I'm cold natured and when the hot flashes and night sweats pass I'm cold. Sometimes I get a period and sometimes not. I can't remember sh*t and my patience is out the window.

So, cancer prompted by hormonal changes, hmmm, and here I thought I was doing something when I told the doctor I did not want to take HRT (Hormone Replacement Thearpy) because I d did not want to increase my risk of cancer. Well so much for that theory, huh! So, it looks like I loose a breast and will be sentenced to taking some type of medication to prevent recurrence for the next five years. Oh by the way this type of cancer has a 87% survival rate...more good news! I just need to be in that percentage. Well as cousin Roxanne said " better to loose a body part than loose your life. "

I research edthe reconstruction of a breast which I[m thinking as long as my prognosis is good, I plan to opt for reconstruction. My friend JoAnne told me that I could get a boob job out of all of this and I just may be able to hold up a sweater when it's all done. That puts a smile on my face! Litterally. To get a new titty as Tyler calls them, one can have a tummy tuck, skin removed from the back or from the buttocks...they need the skin from those areas to rebuild the breast.

Trust me yall it ain't pretty, and you don't even get a nipple. You have to have a separate surgery for that. This cancer thing is complicated, involved, depressing, scary, no fun and just down right nerve racking!

Have I asked "why me?", sure but just for a fleeting moment. Why not me, I certainly wouldn't wish it on anyone else. My faith is strong, and I am asking God for healing. Jesus died for me so it is already done! Amen.

Father because of your Word, I am overcometh, I overcome the world, the flesh, and the devil, by the blood of the lamb and the word of my testimony. (1 John 4:4, Rev 12:11)

Well the MRI is tomorrow September 22, 2008 at 10 AM. Mom is going with me. I plan to to work out after the MRI...gotta keep those endorphins flowing. Mom won't be happy about it. She treats me like I'm already on my way out, but I'm going to keep doing me as long as I can and Mom will have to find a comfortable place for that. I'm sure she will worry herself into a nervous ball during the MRI but it would be worse if she were not there. So we will go tomorrow to get pictures of the cancer for the doctor. Just keep me in your prayers.

Ladies, make sure you check your breast!

Holla Yall, I will share finding the "lump" with you next time.

2 comments:

Ang said...

We're all waiting and praying with you. Oh, and by the way, I hate this word verification stuff when I want to post a comment. When you're just about 50, a u close to an n looks like a w!

Praying for Healing said...

LOL!