Thursday, November 6, 2008

Day after Surgery

Mom stayed the night with me. I was hot most of the night, but Mom was freezing. The Nurse (Sharon) brought Mom a microwave blanket and tucked her in. I think she was able to get some sleep at that point.

When I woke up on Thursday Morning. I was feeling pretty groggy. I was able to order breakfast from a pretty large menu. They had everything from Omelets to fres fruit. I decided on both. The Omelet looked really good, I managed to eat one folkfull! Ferlando came by the hospital to bring me my glasses and the chocolate that Chris gave me before surgery. It was good to get my glasses, because I could really see everyone again. He broke off a few pieces of chocolate for me and it was hm, hm good!

Chris came to see me. Mom went to get something to eat while Chris was visiting. I was happy to see Chris and appreciated her coming such a long way to see me. She was upbeat and funny, she made me laugh a lot. Unfortunately while she was visiting, I became extremely naseauated I puked while she held the barf bowl. She was very gracious, I apologized but I couldn't help it. She was very strong, thank goodness she's not a sympany puker. She stayed and talked to me until Mom got back to the room. Mom told Chris that I had eaten the chocolate that Chris had given me, and they decided that the chocolate has made meme sick. I don't believe it for a minute. That chocolate was the best thing I had since surgery! Later that evening JoAnne came to visit me and she ate the remaining chocolate so that I wouldn't eat it. It was punishment to see her eat my hmm hmm good chocolate! LOL

When night fell I felt a little strange and wide awake. The nurse checked on me around 11PM and then Mom and I turned the lights out and said goodnigt. I had my eyes closed, but I was not really sleeping. I was hoping for sleep but it didn't come. Mom was knocked out, she was snoring. I was glad that she was finally getting some rest.

Around 1:30 AM. Pain hit me. I was on a pain pump and had been pumping the medication every half hour or so, but the pain got out in front of the medication. I was in so much pain, the term "800 pound guerilla" had true meaning. Because, it felt like an 800 pound guerilla was standing on my chest. I hit the button for the nurse to come in and when she arrived and asked what I needed, I was in so much pain that I could not respond. She immediately left the room to go get help. The nurses name was Sandra. When she returned with another nurse, they told me to hit the pain pump. I had already done that to the point that the pump would not allow me another hit. Mom woke up as the nurses were scurrying around trying to help me. She start to say something to me, like why don't I call the Dr. or something. By that time I was crying elephant tears. I managed to grind out between my clinched teeth, "Mom just let me get thru this. From that point on she just looked on with fear in her eyes. It took the nurses about an hour to get the pain under control. In the end, they had to increase the medicaition from the pain pump to allow me a hit every six minutes. When the pain finally subsided, I was able to sleep. Thank God cause I just didn't know how long I could hang on.

No comments: