Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Scan Results

Today was a good day. Scary Cat Tira faced her fears and came by to see me after Darlene threatened to blow up her house! :) It was good to see her. Tira always has such a good sense of humor and keeps me laughing. Mom was here while Tira was visiting and she even had Mom laughing out loud. Tira sat with us until it was time to go to the doctor.

I went to see the Oncologist today to get the results of my scans. I prayed about the results last night so when I went into the Dr's office, I was feeling pretty good and confident that all would be well. When the doctor came in and started to read the results of the scans, my heart started to be a little face. He said the Bone Scan showed no other cancer and the CT scan showed no other cancer. It did show a dot in the liver and the space where the right breast was removed but said that is not uncommon, they don't know what it is but it's seen on most scans. They'll watch it but it's usually nothing. I believed before I went in that all would be well and God made it so.I found my self thanking God, feeling good and smiling a lot.

Now I just have to go through the treatment. I met with a nurse by the name of Kay who explained to me what type of chemo drugs I would receive. I will receive three different drugs, two at the same time, both of which are very strong. We reveiwed the side effects which are many but the most common of course is hair loss. I explained that my hair has already been falling out so they orderd some testing to check that out because it may be from something else. The other side effects are fatigue, weakness and nausea...fun stuff...huh! I will be on treatment for about six to eight months, then radiation...and possibly more surgery at some point. However, if the chemo does what we want it to do, a second surgery may be avoided. We're cross that bridge when we get to it, and I will apply prayer which is the strongest medicine.

I talked to JoAnne tonight, she told me she couldn't sleep last night. She told me that earlier today but tonight she confessed that she couldn't sleep because she was worried about me and the results of the scans. Well God is good. It made shed some tears (I've been doing a lot of that lately) because I didn't want to make her cry...I feel so helpless. Annie called for scan results, she was rather quiet when I gave her the news. I think she thought that I would not have to do chemo. Well girls we are going to have to go wig shopping. Let's make a date it should be fun. I want to laugh about it while I can. Yall know I got a big head, and this head with no hair will be no joke, scary thought. I was always worried about covering up my big forehead with banes now I will have to cover the whole thing...let's hope it's not too daunting of a task. PeeWee told me I could join her in the no hair category,but I told her she has a little head as her husband saids she has a pea size head. I have a pumpkin head so it won't be so easy. Well I gotta love it, my big head that is. The Dr. said the hair would be gone by the second treatment...that's okay I'll still be here and that's what counts!

How am I really feeling....Happy that the scans did not show more cancer. I'm still wondering where this cancer came from. I'm praying for healing in a way that the Dr's. will be in awe of what God can do. I'm worried about my future and if my body will be able to handle the chemo, but I'v gotten this far. I worry that Breyen and Tyler may be affected in someway and talk to them about checking their breast. Tyler's friend Erica had to have a biospy ....she's 18. I pray all is well, it's hard enough to go through this at my age let alone so young. I pray that God will touch her with his healing hands and make all well for her. I think this is crazy...what is this. I pray that this cancer thing killed, cured, for all no matter the type of cancer.

As I go forward I have to focus on staying healthy, good nutrition and finding fiancial stability for my family. I'm working on getting assistance to pay for chemo. It's a lot all at once, but I know God will not give me more than I can bear. I just hope that I've met that capacity and things will turn around and get better.

I'm healing from the surgery, my energy level is still low so I know chemo will be tough for me. I'm still working on getting full range of motion back in my arm. I am looking forward to getting back in my car and driving myself around. Yeah Ms. Daisy wants to get in the drivers seat. My car is dirty, I need to get back in it so I can have it clean and adjust the mirrors to one spot for one driver. I like being a passenger, but I also like to drive sometimes and I'm looking forward to getting back to driving.

Chris will get me in the morning so I can start my walking program. Dorothy and Nona will get me for lunch. People are good, I've been allowed to see the good in so many people....I hope you all know that their are lots of good people in the world. Even the nurse from the first biospy called to check on me an sent me a book(The Pink Book) on breast cancer. So much compassion and they don't even know me. I'm telling you it's overwhelming wonderful!

2 comments:

Ang said...

I waited for your call last night and when it didn't come I got scared. Wanted to call, but scared to call. Mama called me late last night, and I didn't want to talk to her because I thought that maybe you or your mom had called her and asked her to call me with the news of the scan. You don't know how happy I was when I found out that wasn't the purpose of her call. Wanted to call you this morning but was scared again, so I decided to read the blog. Now I'm happy and can stop being scared.
We've been through so much together over the years that I just can imagine being here without you. I wish we could go back to our days in college when we traveled the roads between Iowa Wesleyan and University of Iowa visiting each other.
Wish I was there to help you get through your treatments, but I'll keep praying. Take care and will talk with you either today or tomorrow. The girls will be fine, what you're unable to give them, God and your friends will.

Angie

Praying for Healing said...

I wish you were here. I promise I will do my best to keep up the paper work. If I can't God will work it out!