Monday, December 8, 2008

The First Chemo Treatment

Well, I've heard all of sorts of horror stories about chemo and after my first treatment I have found that the horror stories are true. Initially I thought my prayers for no side effects had been answered just the way I requested, after all I met a lady during chemo treatment who said she's been on chemo for three years and she's never had a reaction other than loosing her hair.

Well here goes. Mom, Trina and I got to the hospital at 7Am to have the port surgically imported. We waited until 10:30 AM before they got started. I was not put to sleep. I was awake during the entire prep and everything. An IV was put in and of all of the IV's I've had thus far this one was so painful I wanted to knock the nurse out! I was able to talk to the Dr. and nurses during the procedure. They told me that I should not be able to feel anything. It didn't hurt, but I could feel everything. Before they were done, I started to feel some pain. When they finished I was still in pain so they gave me more pain medication. Of course, you know from my experience with pain medication during my hospital stay after the mastsectomy it made me sick. Well after having the IV taken out, we headed over to the the Dr.'s office to receive chemo around 2 PM. There were no chairs available when I first got there and I was hungry (I hadn't eaten since before midnight the day before). The Dr. took me into the office break room and fed me baked chicken and a casear salad. Once a chair was available they hooked up a bag of a anti-neasea medication to my port. Once that was completed, they hooked up a another bag of a different anti neausea medication. Then they started with the first chemo drug. They had to push it from a huge syringe but very slowly. It took about 15 minutes. Finally, they added another chemo medication that dripped from a bag. The whole process took about an hour and a half. When I was done I was told to call if I have a fever of 100.5 or more.

We left and I headed for home, I ate and went to the health club. It was a long and tiring day. Friday came and I was feeling fine. Tyler and Louis left around 1 PM to go to IL State. Breyen came home from work for a while. Annie came by, she went to Chile's and brought food back. We sat in the kitchen and had a nice quiet dinner. Annie left around 9 PM. I actually started to feel different around that time, but I just got myself ready for bed and went to sleep. When I woke up on Sat. mornining, I felt like a MAC Truck had hit me. I was so fatiqued and neuseated that I could hardly move. I can't remember much either. I know that Mom was here and I thank God for that. I hate to see her sitting up watching me, I know this has to be hard on her but I am so thankful that she is here. Mom came right in starting cooking because she wants to make sure I eat, the smell of the food made me so sick I wanted to cry. I begged Mom to stop. She did of course as she had no idea that the smell of the food would make me sick. Then she tried lighting a candle to burn off the odor and sitting vinegar and water in a bowl in my room. I suppose it helped some but it was rough. I don't remember if i ate more than crackers, but Sunday I felt a little better. I was able to get out of bed something I didn't do on Sat. Trina came by to sit with me so that Mom could go home and get some rest. I don't know what I would have done without them. Darlene and Danan came by to visit, that helped get my mind off of feeling so bad. Several people called, I didn't have much strength to talk but it was good to know that they were thinking of me. Angie sorry I couldn't give you better news about the the neusea. Breyen went out, I guess she just couldn't stand watching me be so weak. Trina baked me a potatoe and I was able to eat that. In fact, it tasted good to me. I was able to sit on the couch most of the day which was a tremendous improvement. Tyler came home on Sunday morning, she slept most of the day, hard on her too; I know! I pray that it's not this bad everytime. Maybe it was rough this time because I had a cold, I got the port and I got chemo all at once. Today (Monday) was better still. Annie called several times to check on me. She had her friend talk to me who went through this treatment as well. It was very helpful. Now I know I will probably continue to be sensitive to smells. Well just keep praying as am I. One down 7 to go. The next chemo treatment is Dec. 18. Hopefully I will feel well by Christmas day. I continue to be encouraged and praying for complete healing!

No comments: