Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I have short hair

Well over the years I've dabbled with cutting my hair shoulder length here and there. Today in preparation for the possibilibty of being bald as a result of chemo, I had it cut short today. Mitzi cut it short. I have a little fluff at the top the back is shaved. I always thought my head was too big for a short cut, but I actually like it. It feels strange and since I can't get a perm the back is not lying down as nicely as it could but what does it matter if it all falls out any who? Short hair is work so I'll will have to run a comb thru it here and there. My scalp is itching a lot now and the right side was a little tender when it was washed, I don't know if this is the first signs of my hair falling out but that remains to be seen. I'm not much worried about though, too many other things to worry about. But hey, I got more new hair today. I went to visit the Breast Cancer Strength Network today with Chris to get a wig. I actually got 4 wigs. There was one human hair wig which everyone advised me to get but I passed it because it needed work and didn't do much for me. I got a red wig and two dark wigs. I can wear the red wig as spring draws near because I always wear my hair lighter in the spring and summer months. The other two I can wear back and forth weekly. But guess what I got a blond Marilyn Monroe wig. I can't wait to be invited to a party so I can put it on with a sassy dress and some high heel shoes! :). I told Chris I will wear when I'm with her. She has decided that I need to wear a leopard dress when I wear it. I can't wait, it should be fun. Tyler and I have decided to give the wigs names, so I'll have to decide which personality will wear which hair, HA!

Chris hung out with me all day. She picked me up from Mitzi's took me to physical thearpy, went to an downtown appointment and to get my wigs. She even took me to the Hard Rock
Cafe for dinner. After feeling so bad from the chemo, it was nice to have such a pleasant day. Tomorrow, I go to Faye's light (A breast Cancer day spa) for a pedicure and facial. I'm also looking forward to that. Then reality sits in. I have to go see the oncologist tomorrow. Hopefully my white and red blood cell counts will be up again. I have a cold and I'm stilling struggle to rid myself of it along with the anti-bioatic the dr gave me yesterday. I have just a little voicek, but hopefully it will be better tomorrow. As much as I dread the effects of the chemo I would like to stay on schedule and get healed. I still have radiation and more surgery to face at some point down the line. See I told you reality. I just pray that there is something that the oncologist can do to help with the neusea. We'll see.

I got Garrett's popcorn today too. Humm, Humm I'm hanging on to that for tomorrow. Gotta go yall need to get my beauty rest. Holla back yall, love to hear from you!

1 comment:

melbyrd1920 said...

Hey girl - wigs are in!! Thank goodness for us as I wear them too! My hair falls out from the Coumadin that I take. I never liked my hair anyway. As I got older, it got thinner and weaker. So a wig was the perfect solution! I love wigs now as I can wear whatever color or length that I want whenever I want. I do what makes me feel good and am very comfortable with it. My natural hair is doing its own thing - grows, falls out, kinks up and matts to my head under all my fabulous wigs...but only I know and I don't care. I only comb it about twice a month after I get tired of Brianna saying "Auntie - when you gonna let me comb out your fro? Eventually, I sit on the floor and let Brianna comb it out. Ouch! Then I have to listen to Renee complain that we got little naps all over the place and to get them up!! LOL!! See what a pain that is??? So why even bother - I just throw on my wig and go. Even tho the afro is in, I am not a fan of it. I like longer hair and so do the men that I date!! And yes, short hair is a pain as you can't wear a pony tail but the time it would take to style the short hair, you can throw on a wig and go! Then you can spend the extra time doing something you love doing instead! Yours in wighood - Mel