Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Relief from Chemo Brain

You might wonder what chemo brain is....well it's this fog. My cousin Annie's Mom said it's like being high. Well let me tell you it's not a nice high. It's a funk, a fog, that prevents you from feeling like yourself, from think clearly and from thinking fast. It's just not nice. I guess you can describe it as a bad hang over, though I'm not sure since I've only been hung over once or twice in my life and chemo brain is worst! They tell me that chemo brain will get worse as the treatments go on and will still be hanging out about three months after treatment is completed. I just pray that there is something to help me get this neasea under control and I pray that the port will be less uncomfortable.

I woke up this morning, I had to be at the club at 5 AM. I was a little late but that didn't bother me. It was just important to me that I would be able to get there. I had my clothes laid out so nothing to think about there, I just couldn't get in a hurry. Chemo Brain was in control. I was still a little neuseated and odors were still wrecking havoc with my senses and my stomach. The doctor said we would try something different next time that may allow me to less neaseated. Again the saving grace is that it is temporary but riding the wave makes me feel like it will never end.

At the club this morning I was slow and smiling was a true effort. Erika helped me out some with some special jokes of her own. That always helps. I got some walking in as well, it was hard. Imagine that walking hard for me, someone who likes to run. I guess it's time to re-think this running thing, perhaps after treatment I will look for something else to do. I guess time will tell.

It was a busy day today as are my next couple of days. I had fluid drawn off my back today. That's never fun but a necessary evil. Ah, I suppose it isn't so bad just a prick from the needle after that it's not bad and it feels better once the fluid is drawn off. Babysister and Mom took me out to eat and then we went on to the next appointment. I've been fighting a cold since a day or two before Thanksgiving. I had been lodging up on vitimin C and after chemo the cold was still here. I got an anit-biotic and some cough syrup today so maybe that will help. Then we went on to have prescriptions filled, as usual it was a full day. Later I laid on the couch hoping to catch nap, that didn't work so well. Mom got a little ticked with me today, so she made me dinner and then went home. I think she's learning to be here when I need help and stepping back when I can do a few things on my own. Still the stuff she gets ticked at me about have no real meaning value at least in my mind. Today was something about Wal-mart and their $4 prescriptions. Maybe after chemo brain Ican figure out what that one was really about, I just know it takes too much energy to sweat the small stuff. Later I did manage to get a nap in. Jay came by to check on scrathces in my wood floors. He's good a friend. Mr. Hampton came by to check on me too.

Well Christmas in the Burke house has always been a big affair. Well not this year. Maybe we will celebrate christmas in the summer. For now Christimas will be about celebrating life. I hope my children and family can appreciate that. I have my next chemo treatment on the 18th so maybe by Christmas Day Chemo Brain will free me up and I can enjoy the day without the fog, enjoy my family and the good food.

phoo phoo on Chemo Brain!

No comments: